Organic Yoga Clothing supports your practice... on and off the mat. Through Inner Waves Organics exclusive use of fine organic cottons, environmentally safe dyes and responsible production practices, we work to restore harmony by protecting our soil, air and water and uplifting our community.
DEFINITION: Organic cotton is grown and harvested without being sprayed with harmful pesticides, fungicides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers.
RESULT OF USE: This helps save our water, soil and overall environment. Organic practices help reduce the cause of serious health issues and provides a livelier place for us and future generations to live.
- You may be surprised to learn that conventionally grown cotton is one of the earth's most heavily sprayed crops and is one of the greatest users of synthetic fertilizers. In fact, the cotton in an average conventional (non-organic) T-shirt may have been produced using: 7 tsps synthetic fertilizers, 3/4 tsp of other active ingredients; pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, and defoliants
- Average acre of California grown cotton:
- 200 lbs nitrogen
- 60 lbs phosphorous
- 40 lbs potash
- 46% of all U.S. counties contain groundwater that is susceptible to contamination by agricultural pesticides and fertilizers.
- 14 MILLION people in the U.S. may be exposed to herbicides through contaminated drinking water.
- FARM WORKERS have the highest rate of chemical-related illness of any occupational group in the U.S.
MAJOR EFFECTS OF CONVENTIONALLY GROWN COTTON
- Contamination of ground water, polluting wells and drinking water
- Sterilization of soil
- Air contamination
- All three creating serious health problems
GOOD REASONS TO BUY ORGANIC COTTON
- Reduces the market for products made with harsh chemicals that can harm the earth, air and water
- Supports conscious living choices
- Fabric is soft and durable
- Supports local and smaller farm industries
- Conventional cotton is the second most heavily sprayed crop and fourth heaviest user of synthetic fertilizer
POSITIVE ALTERNATIVES FOR A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE
Buy ORGANICALLY GROWN COTTON or other Sustainable fibers:• Hemp • Tencel • Bamboo
STEPS TO INITIATE PARTICIPATION
- Start by buying a few primary pieces of clothing that you use often and or close to your skin
- Spread the word and learn more
- Go beyond, extending your earth-healthy choices to organic foods, responsible products, and a sustainable lifestyle
Now is the time to educate ourselves about Organic Cotton and the role it plays for us all and our planet. As we learn how our choices effect the earth, our environment and our communities we take a step toward being even better stewards.
"The principal guidelines for organic production are to use materials and practices that enhance the ecological balance of natural systems that integrate the parts of the farming system into an ecological whole" *
- info from OTA, The Organic Trade Association is the leading business association representing the organic industry in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.